Tuesday, March 23, 2010

We are all innocent until proven guilty in a court of our peers.




A guilty pleasure is something one enjoys and considers pleasurable despite feeling guilt for enjoying it. Often, the "guilt" involved is simply fear of others discovering one's lowbrow or otherwise embarrassing tastes, rather than actual moral guilt. Fashion, music, and food (especially unhealthier foods high in sugar and/or fat) can be examples of guilty pleasures.

This has always been an intriguing topic for me, there's so many unanswered questions. Why do we feel guilty about it? Why are some people attracted to one thing while others find it distasteful?

Since I don't have any of the answers, I decided to just make a list of my guilty pleasures. Maybe once they're out in the open I won't feel guilty...or maybe you'll all just point at me and laugh.

I love sappy love ballads. I don't care how much they've been over played, I will still bust out in full voice to sing along. The more heartbreak in the song, the better.



I will curl up with crayons and a coloring book for HOURS! I kid you not. I used to try to use the fact that I have a child as an excuse for my obsession, but I've since given that up. Probably because he's now old enough and smart enough to tell people the truth.



This song is soooo dirty!! But since the first time I heard it on the radio, I've been addicted to it. I can't get enough!



Again, I've tried to use the fact that I have a child as an excuse for watching Disney movies. It doesn't really work, though, when I get caught watching The Little Mermaid with him no where in sight.



I absolutely ADORE fried green tomatoes. The actual food, not the movie. Well, I love the movie too, but that's another point all together. The problem with fried green tomatoes (the food) is that, if anyone will recall, I am ALLERGIC to tomatoes. So yeah, I could eat them, but then bad things happen and I get to take a fun trip to the E.R. Why do the things I like have to be so bad for me?



Yet again, another thing I've tried blaming on my child. Does anyone else for see years of therapy for all of the damage I'm causing?



I think Johnny needs no introduction. What hot-blooded, straight female does NOT have a thing for Johnny Depp?! Excuse me while I drool...



No, I do not have a secret penchant for little girls...although I do think they're adorable :) But I do have a little obsession with pigtails. I love wearing my hair in pigtails. Have I mentioned that I'm in my late 20's? Maybe it's time to start growing up...but that doesn't sound like any fun.



Agh! I know, I'm totally giving myself away with this one. Now everyone knows what a total and complete geek I am. I don't care, I can't help it. Besides, did you know that doing word puzzles lowers your chances of getting Alzheimer's and Dementia by 66%?



And here the awful truth comes out...deep down, I really am a girly-girl who loves herself a good, sappy chick flick. Someone whip out the tissues please...this one's a tearjerker.




I realize that some of the things on my list may not technically qualify as a guilty pleasure, since I don't feel a whole lot of guilt about them. But there ya have it...my list of things that make me go "Aw!"

No comments:

Post a Comment