Tuesday, April 13, 2010

April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month



I realize I'm a little slow on the update here, but I've had a busy start to the month. I'm about to jump up on my little soap box so if you're weak of heart, I don't suggest reading any further.

Sexual Assault Awareness is a topic I hold very close to my heart. Growing up, I remember the talks about rape and molestation that they gave in health class. I sat there with my girlfriends, proudly proclaiming we wouldn't be that girl. We were smart, educated and aware, we wouldn't be naive and stupid like those girls.

Ever hear that pride goes before the fall?

Years later, I found myself crying softly in a truck stop in the middle of nowhere, a stone's throw from the Canadian border, full of shame and blame...all my pride gone. I was that girl. And I had all of the education, I had been in the classes, learned what to look for and what not to do...and I was still that girl.

Here's the problem:

There IS no "that girl". We are ALL that girl. We all have the capability to be swept away by the charming smile and find ourselves hurting before we know what's gone wrong. That is why Sexual Assault Awareness is so very important. Every 2 minutes someone in this country is sexually assaulted. The more aware we all are, the better chance we have to stop this epidemic. Did you know that 1 in 6 women & 1 in 33 men will be sexually assaulted in their lifetime?

Look at the people sitting around you at the office, the ones on your daily commute. Hell, take a good look at the girls the next time you have a night out. Chances are one or more of these people have been abused, or will be in their lifetime. They might even be in a bad situation right now. Or maybe that person is you.

I urge you all, open your eyes and pay attention to the people around you. 60% of sexual assaults in this country go unreported. Women are too scared of their abusers to seek help. Or more often, they're sure they won't be believed, that nothing will happen for them and they'll have only made the situation worse by angering their abuser.



If you're reading this and you're thinking about someone you know, go to them, talk to them and reassure them to seek help. And if you're reading this and are in a bad situation, PLEASE go to someone you can trust, go to the authorities or contact your local women's shelter.

Below you'll find links to more information about Sexual Assault Awareness. You'll also find contact information if you, or someone you know, have been sexually assaulted. Let's speak out about this and make it harder for rapists and sexual offenders to hide their dirty deeds. Stand up and fight for something you believe in, staying silent only allows the crimes to continue to be committed. Every single person holds the power of their voice. Be heard.


National Sexual Assault Hotline 1-800-656-HOPE This number is free and absolutely confidential and someone is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

All statistics quoted in this posting came from: Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network

SAAM's website: National Sexual Violence Resource Center

1 comment:

  1. Great Post Tia Bear! This is also a subject very close to my heart. I personally think that more than 1 of 6 women have been assaulted due to the fact that so many are unreported. I don't actually know any girls who have not been assaulted at some point!

    I love that you are posting about this and have taken this stance. You Rock!

    ReplyDelete